A Summer afternoon in Schwarzsee

Thursday, January 18, 2007
EURIP Part 4!



Our hostel in Basel had a fantastic view. My group was always the first to go down for breakfast. We'd wake up at 630am everyday without fail and be down for breakfast by 730.

For what I also don't know.

So after breakfast we went to walk about around the hostel.. Really nice. There were people jogging and cycling.. And it was extraordinarily cold.



Oh and I had my very first cheese fondue! We dined at some Balinese restaurant where the owner was Balinese and spoke Indonesian with me. The waiter was from Jakarta or something and we conversed pretty comfortably in Indonesian. He was telling me he was Muslim as well and I told him not to put alcohol in the cheese fondue. Well I tried speaking Indonesian la..but I ended up speaking Malay anyhoos.



Well the highlight of Basel was probably visiting the Swiss Pharmaceutical Museum. And of course buying cheap budget chocolate at Migros. I love the budget Migros chocolate!

We left hostel and went downtown. Visited the Rathaus which was pretty near a Migros.





Oh and there was this huge wish book at the entrance of the Rathaus.



I scribbled "I wish for more money and snow, lots of love from Singapore" in german and we left for the..





Was pretty interesting la, looking at how alchemists in the olden days did their thingos.

They had lots of preserved stuff. Reptiles, human parts etc. Gross ah some.



What's Shah doing! haha.



The curator of the museum gave quite a detailed tour. Pretty interesting la, overall.



But you know. We'd play around. Heh. Well Dazril started this thing of imitating the artefacts.


Fail.


Ok pass.


Fail.


Eww. But okay lah. And at that moment, the curator walks up the stairs (reflection in the mirror) and starts laughing. TAK embarassing man.

And the natural:



He loves taking these kinda photos.



Haha!

And then on the bus we go to the Paul Scherrer Institute. They were the ones who started the whole Swiss Light Source thing.

Quite interesting also. We watched some 3D movie but it was in German. As soon as the lights went off and we wore our 3D glasses, some of us fell asleep just like that. Haha. I watched the movie ok.





Oh and our bus was like the best bus ever lah.



It had a gps system. Damn cool. And it would give directions auf Deutsch. And its very specific. "(In German obviously) In the next 300m, turn right." or "drive for 200m and enter the freeway." Super cool.



Okay so the most memorable thing about Basel was probably our hostel. It reminded me of an army camp, not that I've ever been in one.

But check it out. This is the hallway to our rooms.



The rooms. NO plug!! So I couldn't iron my tudung. So Shah and I just exchanged tudungs. Our tudungs and clothes which reeked of the Cheese fondue from previous night. Eww. We did laundry the moment we checked into Munich hostel.



Don't be deceived by our smiles. We really were feeling like this.



Oooh and the toilets! I was lucky enough to get an All-Girls floor. Shah was on a mixed floor for those families.. So her toilet was mixed. It is a problem because the shower areas had NO DOORS.



Uh Huh. When you bathe the thing flaps. And we got our curtain STOLEN by Jiesi because the toilet on her side had no curtain.

Its freaky lah really. And in the morning, I'm like the only one in my room who bathes so its freaky. I got one of the babes to accompany me. And at night we'd wait on each other when we bathe.

Check out the old school taps too.



An experience la definitely. Haha.

Anyway, we were bound for Munich!!

Labels:



-published at 12:54 AM.